+1,000% YOY Ecommerce Sales Growth for Bonterra Organic Vineyards
September 21, 2020
Our client Bonterra Organic Vineyards, like many brands, wanted to pivot to meet changing consumer habits in the wake of the COVID-19 crisis. With the pandemic showing zero signs of slowing down and more states heading into longer stay-at-home orders in March and April, the team tasked R\West with diversifying our current strategy to meet our consumer where they were – at home.
R\West is always up for the challenge.
Taking note of the huge consumer shift to online wine shopping due to the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020, we quickly pivoted and took action. Within 24 hours, the team launched a 1-cent shipping campaign for purchases of six or more bottles, incentivizing fans to stock up on their favorite Bonterra wines.
Dedicating a modest budget to testing in the first wave of this campaign, the team retargeted recent visitors to Bonterra’s e-shop and past customers lookalikes on Facebook and Instagram, included A/B testing, varying forms of static and video creative, and made real-time adjustments.
- Digital Content Support: To drive consumers to purchase, the digital and creative teams quickly launched updated, product-focused content on the website with a special offer to entice conversion. Utilizing a mix of marketing technologies the team tracked the consumers’ journeys and provided crucial data needed to make real-time adjustments to the campaign.
- Creative that Performs: The best content is the content your audience loves. To optimize campaign performance, each campaign typically had multiple visual iterations, custom-created to meet the objective of showcasing seasonal wines. Visual content, format, copy, and calls to action were performance-tested to reallocate media dollars behind the top execution. In addition, we frequently leveraged Facebook & Instagram’s ecommerce integration tools to show specific product collections in each of the ads and link each product icon to its respective landing page.
- Efficiently-targeted Paid Media: The paid media team leveraged Facebook and Instagram’s first-party data tools (Lookalike Audiences & Retargeting) in order to ensure each dollar spent was directed towards prospects/consumers who were likely to resonate with the content. This year, as a result of thorough testing and optimizations, we achieved an almost 300% return on ad spend to-date.
The first phase of the campaign was so successful, Bonterra gave the team the green light to roll out additional discounts with targeted paid social, custom email, and digital support to fans and lookalikes. The campaign soared, directly reaching our target demo.
In addition to the quick pivots to reach our consumer at home, our Social, Digital Experience, and Paid teams put together 360-degree sales-driven programs executed via email marketing as well as organic and paid social media.
Due to R\West’s quick pivots, ecommerce and social strategies, and media amplification tactics, Bonterra Organic Vineyards saw incredible growth from August 2019 to August 2020.
- 1,147.40% increase in ecommerce revenue
- 150% increase in site traffic and sessions
- 4.6% conversion rate (up 224.78%)
- 200% growth in email database subscribers
- 40% increase in Instagram followers