Rioja Wines Takes the Digital Stage at Cherry Bombe’s Jubilee 2.0
August 25, 2020
This year, on behalf of our client Rioja Wines, R\West secured a coveted spot as the exclusive wine sponsor of Cherry Bombe Jubilee.
An indie media brand, Cherry Bombe champions women in food via its weekly Radio Cherry Bombe podcast, biannual magazine, and annual Jubilee conference. Since its inception in 2014, the Jubilee conference has brought together consumers, brands, industry leaders and celebrities, such as Padma Lakshmi, Drew Barrymore, Karen MacNeil, Dini Rao, Cha McCoy and others, each spring to celebrate women in the food world.
However, little did anyone know that the COVID-19 outbreak would render this year’s Jubilee impossible in its usual format – a day-long, in-person event. Originally scheduled to take place in New York City in early April of 2020, Cherry Bombe reimagined this year’s conference for Instagram Live, bringing everyone’s favorite celebs, speakers, and wines to the digital stage for Jubilee 2.0.
So, how do brand partners continue to deliver results when an in-person event goes digital overnight?
The short answer: stay calm, be nimble, and get creative.
A first-of-its-kind digital event hosted entirely via Instagram Live, Jubilee 2.0 reached more than 19 million combined followers across participating social channels and offered virtual attendees unparalleled access to celebrity and influencer guests throughout its 9 hours of programming.
Here’s how we leveraged this new format to share the region and wines of Rioja with attendees who tuned in from all 50 states and more than 60 countries:
- As the event’s exclusive wine sponsor, Rioja Wines hosted a virtual “Wine & Cheese with Friends” happy hour, garnering more than 198,000 views.
- During the happy hour, Cherry Bombe Founder Kerry Diamond and seven amazing leaders from the food and wine world engaged in conversations, tastings, and demonstrations to showcase the vibrant wines of Rioja.
- After the live event, Rioja Wines also served as the exclusive wine sponsor for a six city virtual road trip and market tour across the U.S. to explore different cuisines and traditions around the country.
- To reach a broad online audience, we mobilized email marketing efforts and invited more than 200,000 contacts from the U.S. and Canada, in addition to Radio Cherry Bombe’s 3,000 podcast subscribers, to join Jubilee 2.0.
- Backed by a robust paid social and media strategy, we targeted audiences based on first- and third-party data analyzed from known Rioja customers and followers. We combined this data with in-house research on the Radio Cherry Bombe audience.
- The R\West team built and executed a custom media plan utilizing Rioja’s social channels, media partners, and influencers, which resulted in more than 1M consumer impressions and over 8,000 click-throughs to a special Rioja Jubilee landing page.
- Using owned social channels, Rioja Wines amplified Cherry Bombe content bolstered with strategic copy, to engage users before and after the live event.
To learn more, check out this video: